church

Gay Flag
We welcome diversity and sing our differences in harmony, without fear.

logo

logo



Tile Roof


Stone Church History

History Links:
Beginning: 1944-47
First, the Chapel
Building, 1948-57
Next, 1958-67
Later, 1968-87
Recent, 1988-2007
Milestones

The Last Twenty Years: 1988 - 2007


After two years of hard work, Bob Bowles received a Doctor of Ministry degree from San Francisco Theological Seminary in 1991 and became "the Rev. Dr. Bowles." Bob Bowles resigned as head Pastor in July 1994, to assume the pastorate at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Aptos. John and Paula Kelso were then designated Interim Pastors to lead Stone Church during the period of time required to find a new head Pastor.

During this time, Stone Church became one of the founding members of Community Inns, the San Jose program to shelter the homeless in churches on a monthly rotation. Each October, beginning in 1993, Stone Church has housed 12 - 15 men.

The Rev. Art Mills was called as head Pastor in January 1996 and installed in February. Because of the rules of the national church, the Kelsos were required to resign after serving as Interim Pastors. In October 1997, the Rev. Rebecca Kuiken was called as Associate Pastor.

In 1996 Stone Church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary and entered its second half-century under the strong and loving leadership of Art Mills. For Stone Church, fifty years brought renewed enthusiasm and the vigor of full maturity.

Stone Church completed a $1.35 million renovation of our fifty-year-old facility in March 2005, financed by pledges from our congregation. A beautiful stained glass window is now the centerpiece of the social hall. The nursery has been conveniently relocated next to the sanctuary. The former office space has become Christian Education classrooms. A modern kitchen and ADA-compliant bathrooms complete the renovation of the main building. The offices and library/conference room were moved next door to 1937 Lincoln Avenue.

In January 2005, the Rev. Art Mills accepted a staff position with The Board of Pensions PCUSA with responsibilities for Southern California and Arizona. Two months later, the Rev. Marge Palmer, who had been worshipping at Stone with her husband, Bill, for three years, was named stated supply pastor and head of staff. The church leadership began the rather long process of searching for a new lead Pastor and head of staff.

The Rev. Dr. Kenneth Henry was installed as Pastor on June 25, 2007. He grew up in Beaverton, Oregon, just outside Portland, and was ordained and called as pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Santa Cruz in 1988. At Trinity he led the rebuilding of the church which had been burned by an arsonist. Dr. Henry later served as pastor of Cascades Presbyterian Church in Vancouver, Washington, and Central Presbyterian Church in Eugene, Oregon. For the three years prior to coming to Stone, he taught rhetoric and homiletics - the art of preaching sermons - at Northwest Christian College in Eugene.

Top of Page

 


Home | Worship | Mission Statement | Christian Education | Session | Deacons
Staff | Stone News Issues | Calendar | Historic Narrative | Contact Us

For general questions about our church, please email the

JavaScript must be enabled to display this email address.


For problems with or questions about this website, please email the .

Footer Last Revised: June 22, 2012


Cross and Clouds

PCUSA Logo

Search this Website
only search stonechurch.org pages

Site Meter