church

Gay Flag
We welcome diversity and sing our differences in harmony, without fear.

logo

logo



Tile Roof


Stone Church History

History Links:
Beginning: 1944-47
First, the Chapel
Building, 1948-57
Next, 1958-67
Later, 1968-87
Recent, 1988-2007
Milestones


Milestones

1944

  • April - National Missions Committee of San Jose Presbytery recommends opening of work in Willow Glen.
  • Apr 18 - First Church and Westminster approve location of Lincoln Ave and Clark Way.
  • July 26 - Trustees of Presbytery purchase three lots at cost of $3125.

1945

  • Oct 16 - Rev. Thomas H. Simpson, industrial chaplain in San Francisco, appointed to the field.

1946

  • March 22 - First prayer meeting at home of Mrs. Esther Brown
  • April 7 - First business meeting held in Masonic Hall.
  • April 14 - First worship hour held at the Episcopal Mission.
  • April 21 - First Easter Service held in Willow Glen Theater.
  • June 9 - Ground broken for the first unit, a chapel which was to cost $22,000

1947

  • March 2 - Stone Church of Willow Glen organized with 75 members.
  • May 25 - Chapel dedicated.
  • November 3 - Rev. T. H. Simpson installed as first pastor.

1949 -1950

  • Second unit, consisting of Church School rooms and a social hall, built.

1955

  • July 10 - Cornerstone for Sanctuary laid.
  • Nov 20 - Sanctuary dedicated.

1957

  • January - Rev. Robert Stuart Vogt called as Assistant Pastor.

1958

  • Fall - Thomas Simpson retired due to health problems. (Rev. Simpson died October 12, 1960.)
  • Nov - Robert Stuart Vogt resigned.

1959

  • April - Dr. William M. Perdue installed as Pastor.

1962

  • January - Rev. Edward E. Frost installed as Associate Pastor.

1965

  • Oct 1 - Rev. Sherwood Cummins began call as Minister of Christian Education.
  • Nov 30 - Ed Frost resigned, accepted call of First Church, Watsonville.

1966

  • August 21 - Rev. David Beamer began call as Associate Pastor.
  • June - Sherwood Cummins called as Associate Pastor.

1968

  • Nov - Dr. Perdue resigned.

1969

  • June 1 - Cummins and Beamer installed as Co-Pastors.

1974

  • Sherwood Cummins resigned, David Beamer Pastor.

1975

  • December - Robert Bowles installed as Associate Pastor.

1978

  • October - The ecumenical South Bay Walk for the Hungry (aka the "Crop Walk") has its first annual walkathon

1979

  • October - Stone Church participates in the CROP Walk for the first time.

1980

  • November - David Beamer resigned.

1981

  • December - Robert Bowles installed as Pastor.

1982

  • August - Gene and Joan Huff called as Assistant Pastors.

1984

  • March - Gene and Joan Huff installed as Associate Pastors.

1985

  • November - Resignation of Gene and Joan Huff.

1986

  • January 19 - Dedication of Schoenstein pipe organ.
  • March - Betha Hoy assigned by Presbytery as Interim Associate Pastor.
  • October - Stone Church raises over $7,000 for CROP Walk, to become local event's largest contributer.

1987

  • February - John and Paula Kelso installed as Associate Pastors.
  • October - Stone Church raises over $7,000 for CROP Walk, to become local event's largest contributer.

1994

  • July - Robert Bowles resigns; John and Paula Kelso named Interim Pastors.

1996

  • January - Art Mills called to be Pastor.
  • February - Leroy Kromm is named as Director of Music.

1997

  • October - Rebecca Kuiken called as Associate Pastor.
  • October - Dr. William Perdue, second Pastor of Stone Church, dies.

1998

  • November - First Taizé Service held at Stone Church.

2002

  • April - former pastor David Beamer visits and is given title of Pastor Emeritus.

2003

  • June- Leroy Kromm resigns as Director of Music.
  • June thru August - Art Mills on sabbatical.
  • July- Capital Campaign to raise funds for Renovation formally begins.
  • September - Lucik Aprahamian hired as Director of Music.
  • October- Gene Huff, former Associate Pastor of Stone Church, dies.

2004

  • May - Groundbreaking Ceremony marks official start of remodeling.
  • May - An All-Church mission project is held to benefit InnVision.

2005

  • January - Art Mills resigns to take staff position with The Board of Pensions PCUSA.
  • March - Marge Palmer named stated supply pastor and head of staff.
  • March - Major renovation of facility completed.
  • March thru May - Rebecca Kuiken on sabbatical.
  • October - Karen (Hagan) Webster becomes first Stone Church member to complete Seminary study and be ordained to the Presbyterian Ministry.

2006

  • September - Nancy Kromm hired as Choir Director.

2007

  • June - The Rev. Dr. Kenneth Henry installed as Pastor.

2011

  • August - After forty-plus years of service as organist, Joyce Rhodes retires.

 

Top of Page

 


Home | Worship | Mission Statement | Christian Education | Session | Deacons
Staff | Stone News Issues | Calendar | Historic Narrative | Contact Us

For general questions about our church, please email the

JavaScript must be enabled to display this email address.


For problems with or questions about this website, please email the .

Footer Last Revised: June 22, 2012


Cross and Clouds

PCUSA Logo

Search this Website
only search stonechurch.org pages

Site Meter